Believe first

Believe first

I was listening to Weekend Edition on NPR this morning, and there was a story about 74 teenagers chosen for the Jimmy Awards, a week-long learning experience on Broadway, http://www.npr.org/2017/07/01/534896724/these-kids-are-insane-jimmy-awards-celebrate-outstanding-teen-performers The show's choreographer, Kiesha Lalama, said that she expects a lot from these teenagers. “You know, if you treat them like professionals and really just challenge them to rise up, they do, and if you provide them with the opportunity, they can thrive.” Her words resonated with me as a teacher and also as a learner, and gave me the name of my blog.

When learners are beginning something new, we as teachers treat them as though they will master it, and eventually they do. Our belief in them comes before their achievement and our confidence can keep them going when they are mired in the midst of it. In Spanish class, I've often had kids who are sure that they cannot sort out this whole language thing, but later, when we review, they are surprised that they now find it easy. They know it! They can understand it! But in addition to their hard work, it took belief first - even though it was mine - to help get them there.

I've thought about blogging for years but did not believe that I could do it. I was busy, I was too shy, I was not interesting - I had lots of reasons why not. I'm still not sure how this happened but I threw it out there in a Twitter bookchat with Joy Kirr that my genius hour project would be a blog. I'd never said it out loud before, but she picked up on it right away and encouraged me, as has my good friend Rita Simons Santiago. Thanks to both of them for believing in me before I could. It also took Angela Westmoreland's words in her new blog, landofwestmore, to give me the courage to begin when she said that writing a blog is not for the reader, but rather for the writer. I need this. And that's enough. 

Comments

  1. This is so darn perfect. I am so excited for this part of your journey, Jeanne! You're going to learn so much blogging - about the tech, about the topic, and about yourself. Just wait. It will happen. I'm sure of it!! Yes, we believe in you!!

    Just yesterday, I was reading UNMAPPED POTENTIAL, and highlighted these words: "Cultivate unwavering belief in yourself, and take bold steps in the direction of your goals" (p40). Yes!! You've got this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blog like no one is reading and you will get a glimpse into your teaching soul and grow. Blog for your "audience" and it quickly becomes just another advice column :)
    Good luck on your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeanne,
    I'm so encouraged by you! I love the example of believing first, then doing, dot both our students and ourselves. I tell my students this, but I often forget to believe about or for myself.
    I look forward to reading more from you!
    Kacey

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Re-inventing myself, once again